(meteorobs) Aug 7/8 2014 Perseid obs from North Florida

Paul Jones jonesp0854 at gmail.com
Fri Aug 8 09:23:55 EDT 2014

Greetings meteor fans,
       Well, after several nights of overcast skies, it was finally clear
enough this morning for me here in St. Augustine to take a crack at seeing
the 2014 Perseids one last time in a dark, moon-free sky.  Conditions were
far from ideal for me though, with lots of residual cirrus haze from
yesterday afternoon's t-storms still quite evident.  I waited until the
almost Full Moon set around 0430 EDT to begin in hopes the skies would
darken, and they did a little bit, but nowhere near optimum.  Undaunted, I
ventured up on my meteor roof one more time.
       Much to my chagrin, the "on-again/off-again" PERs seemed to be
having one of their off mornings as activity was far below what I had hoped
for.   I only managed to get 9 PERs between 0430 - 0530 EDT, although I may
have lost a few faint ones to the lingering cirrus "fuzz'.  Overall, I
managed a total of 22 meteors for the hour.  Here is the data:

August 7/8, 2014, Observer: Paul Jones, Location: 5 miles SW of St.
Augustine, Florida, Lat: 29.81N, Long: 81.35W, Elevation: 30 feet, LM: 5.9,
Sky Condition: 15% obstruction - cirrus haze and distant lightning,
Observer Direction: Facing South

0830 - 0930 UT (0430 - 0530 EDT) 1.0 Teff, No Breaks
9 PER
2 SDA
1 CAP
10 SPO
22 total meteors

Mags:
PER: +1(1), +2(1), +3(3), +4(3), +5 (1)
SDA: +2(1), +4(1)
CAP: +2
SPO: +2(1), +3(2), +4(4), +5(3)

As you can tell from the mags, this morning's meteors of all kinds were
faint, very faint and mostly forgettable.  The hour was almost over before
I saw a somewhat showy PER, a nice +1 that left a brief train behind it
(the only train of the morning).  It was by far the best PER meteor of this
watch for me.  Earlier in the hour, the CAP was a nice +2 that slowly
covered about 15 degrees of sky in the south.  The SDAs still had a couple
of nice meteors left in them as well.  Looks like the Full Moon will pretty
much drown things out for the PERs from here on out this year.  Oh well,
after two awesome years seeing the dark PER maxs in both 2012 and 2013, I
have nothing at all to complain about!

Clear skies all, Paul in North Florida