(meteorobs) Kappa Cygnids last evening

Paul Martsching pmartsching at mchsi.com
Mon Aug 18 10:12:59 EDT 2014

I began observing as soon as the eastern sky got dark, hoping to get an hour or two in before clouds moved in from the thunderstorm in the west.  The fireflies, jets and satellites were annoying.  I saw three Kappa Cygnids in two hours - the brightest mag - 1.  Also two Perseids: +2 with very long path and brief train in first hour and 0 orange with long path and one second train during second hour.

Usual site at Adams Observatory, McFarland Park 4 miles NE of Ames, Iowa.

18 Aug 2014 0230-0330 UT 72 deg F; dew pt 68 deg F; wind South 6 mph; "fair"; LM 5.6; facing East 50 degrees; teff 1.0 hour.
KCG: two: 0; +2
PER: one: +2
Sporadics: four: - 1; +2(2); +3
Total meteors: seven

18 Aug 2014 0330-0430 UT 70 deg F; dew pt 67 deg F; wind S 5 mph; "fair"; several patches of very thin haze moved thru; average LM 5.5; facing East 50 degrees; teff 1.0 hour.
KCG: one: - 1 (orange)
PER: one: 0
Sporadics: three: +3(3)
Total meteors: five

Quit soon afterward because of blow-off haze/cloud moving in from the tops of thunderstorms in the west.