(meteorobs) Martian meteor storm from C/2013 A1 (Siding Spring)

Karl Antier karl.antier at laposte.net
Mon Aug 25 18:44:50 EDT 2014

Hi all meteor observers!

I have a few question about an event about to occur in less than 2 months, on october 19th, 2014. A potential meteor storm with ZHR above 10 000, but only visible for... Martian people.
At this date, at 20h10 UT (Earth time...), the comet C/2013 A1 (Siding Spring) will pass very close from the Red Planet (132 000 km), and although it will pass out of the martian orbit (and thus the queue will be directed in the opposite direction to Mars, I read it was possible that a meteor storm occur in the Martian atmosphere, due to particules ejected from the nucleus.
I do not know who has been working on that topic except Jérémie from IMCCE ( http://www.imcce.fr/langues/en/ephemerides/phenomenes/meteor/DATABASE/SidingSpring2013A1/2014/index.php?char=shower&body=Mars&year=2014&shower=SidingSpring2013A1 ) but I was wondering about some things...

First: has anyone tried to calculate the position of the radiant from which the potential meteor shower will seem to come from? Will there be a radiant, or will it be much more diffuse due to the high proximity of the comet? Do we have any guess on the velocity of the meteoroids when they will enter the martian atmosphere? And some more informations on the physical characteristics of the shower?
About potential ZHR, how can they be calculated? Is it possible to deduce a visible ZHR from models, using the density of Mars atmosphere instead of the Earth's? Does anyone have a guess on what would be the magnitude difference of a meteor, as seen from Earth and Mars, with identical velocities and mass?
And last, what can we expect to see with the different probes and rovers actually orbiting or walking on Mars?

Thanks in advance for your answers or guesses!
Clear terrestrial skies!
Karl