(meteorobs) Fw: Prominent meteor seen on the east coast.

Ed Majden epmajden at shaw.ca
Wed Dec 3 21:47:39 EST 2014

----- Original Message -----
From: Peter Davenport
To: 'Ed Majden'
Sent: Wednesday, December 03, 2014 6:31 PM
Subject: Prominent meteor seen on the east coast.

Ed,

I suspect that AMS has many reports, by now, but I thought I would send you a copy of the report that NUFORC just received.  Would you like to submit a summary to AMS?

Peter

((BEGIN COPIED REPORT))

100 Date: 12/03/2014

110 Time: 20:30

120 Duration: A few seconds

130 Sighting City: Fort Detrick

140 Sighting State: md

150 Sighting Zip: 21702

160 Sighting County: Frederick

170 Witnesses: 1

172 Shape: Fireball

168 Number of Craft: 1 or 2

190 Description: My wife and I were driving to our house on Fort Detrick when I noticed up in the sky a large extremely bright fireball. By the time I had said, "BABE, LOOK AT THAT ((deleted))!"  It had already fizzled out of existence.

1 large fireball colored bright orange, red, and white seemed to break into 2 smaller fireballs and crashed straight down into what I believe are the Catoctin Mountains near Fort Detrick.

I speculate that it was likely a large meteor breaking into two pieces or that a piece of space debris fell in the atmosphere and burned up as I heard no boom as we approached the house.

Anyone else see this thing?

410 Trail: Yes

430 Emit Objects: Yes

450 Changed color: Yes