(meteorobs) Observation December 1/2 2014

Pierre Martin pmartin at teksavvy.com
Tue Dec 9 23:49:17 EST 2014

Hello all,

There was a chance for enhanced early evening activity from the Phoenicids this year.  I went out near the predicted peak time on Monday December 1.  The radiant, located in northern Sculptor, was well above my local horizon.  Shane joined me for the drive out east of Ottawa to a wide-open site near Wendover.  It was bitterly cold, with a windchill of about -14C, very windy.  The sky was overcast when we got there and we even had snow and ice pellets for some time.  Staying outside for any length of time extremely uncomfortable.  Fortunately, before too long, the weather improved and we were then treated to a very clear sky - although occasional patches of clouds would come and go.  The Moon was also very bright.  I positioned myself next to the car to get as much wind protection as I could so that I wouldn’t freeze, and faced east (away from the moonlight).  I observed for one hour while Shane had his camera running hoping to capture a meteor.

Meteor activity was very low, nothing to get excited about.  I saw one meteor… a November Orionid.  I did not see any Phoenicids.

December 1/2 2014, 01:15-02:17 UT (20:15-21:17 EDT)
Location: Wendover, Ontario, Canada
(Long: -75.092W; Lat: 45.568N)

Observed showers:
Phoenicids (PHO) -  00:32 (020) -27
December Phi Cassiopeiids (DPC) -  01:33 (023) +53
Northern Taurids (NTA) - 04:56 (074) +24
November Orionids (NOO) - 06:08 (092) +15
Geminids (GEM) - 06:36 (099) +34

Period 1: 01:15-02:17 UT; clear for most of the period, some patchy clouds during the last 15 minutes; temp -8C (windchill -14C), F 1.04; LM 5.30; facing E60 deg; teff 1.00 hr
NOO: one: +2
PHO: none
DPC: none
NTA: none
GEM: none
Total meteors: one

Looking forward to much better activity with the Geminids this weekend!

Clear skies,

Pierre Martin
Ottawa, Ontario