(meteorobs) Dec 12/13 GEMs from southern Maryland

Richard Taibi rjtaibi at hotmail.com
Sat Dec 13 11:31:52 EST 2014

Like Paul Jones, I held my watch before moonrise at 3:48 UT (Latitude difference between Maryland and Florida, and a northern declination moon, accounts for our differing moonrise times.)

I was watching from Bel Alton (77 degrees W. Longitude, 38.5 degrees North latitude) from 2:10 UT to 3:50 UT on 13 Dec (9:10 pm to 10:50 pm Eastern S.T. on Dec. 12).  There were no clouds and limiting magnitude was +5.1. I was watching toward the east, field center at beginning of watch was the Hyades and at the end it was southwestern Gemini.  Early evening watches are complicated by frequent airplane traffic at my site; I'm under the flight paths of commercial planes and some military too.  So, all that commotion in the air may have distracted me somewhat too.
Geminids: +1, +2 (3), +3, and +4 (3), Total=8
Sporadics: -2 and +1                            Total=2

I will send a more detailed report to the IMO but the above are the most important details, I think.

Good luck to all for the 'max' tonight (EST).  Infrared satellite imagery shows a huge loop of cloud driving north over the North American mountain states to north of Ontario and then it 'dives' south through western NY, PA and looks as though it's going to mess up Maryland's skies tonight.  Sky over southern Maryland looks 'milky' with water vapor and clouds: the heartbreak of astronomy!  I wish I was on Paul's rooftop tonight.

Rich