(meteorobs) A 2014 Geminid Visual Meteor Report

Bruce McCurdy bmccurdy at shaw.ca
Sun Dec 14 03:48:41 EST 2014

Preliminary report of a successful observing session NW of Edmonton. I
haven’t transcribed my recorded notes as yet, but have 48 recordings
including several with multiple meteors, likely 60 or so overall. Mostly
Geminids, with 2-3 Monocerotids and a few others. I lost some time to
setting up cameras, changing batteries, etc. One of our group members who
only observed visually counted 90 meteors in ~2 hours.

The highlight by far was a pair of -4 fireballs that followed very similar
paths in the SW some 30-40 seconds apart that several in our group observed.
I personally had one very bright (-2) near-point meteor bang on the radiant.

More to come.

Bruce
*****