(meteorobs) 2014 GEM peak from north Florida

Paul Jones jonesp0854 at gmail.com
Sun Dec 14 06:24:16 EST 2014

Hi all,
     Got in two hours of meteor watching nirvana on the meteor moon roof
last night before moon rise and the soggy, wet cold combined to convince me
my warm bed was a more attractive option (I envy Lew's 61 degrees on the
other end of the state!). Under 6.0 skies, I had 105 GEMs between 2 UT and
4 UT ( 44 and 61, the GEM hourly counts), plus a few SPOs and two ANTs.  No
fireballs though, the best I could do on GEM mags were one -2 and one -1.
Lots of zeros and +1s still made for a nice show indeed.
      Lots of "spurts and lulls"- periods of nothing, followed by short
periods of frenzied GEM activity.  Had a few near-simultaneous GEMs occur
and several cases of three or four hitting in quick succession.
     All in all, seemed to me to be a pretty normal year for them, perhaps
a bit fainter on average than usual.  More later when I get all the data
sorted out

Paul in St. Augustine, FL