(meteorobs) Ursids from Russia

Pavel Zhavoronkov pavel.zhavoronkov at gmail.com
Tue Dec 23 10:44:09 EST 2014

Hi, all! Initially, here in Kaukasus mountains (Russia) near mt. Elbrus
weather forecast is not cooperative for me, but at 18:00 UT 22 DEC the sky
began to clear and for my observing session from 18:30 22 DEC (UT) to 01:30
23 DEC (UT) the sky condition was very good. My observing site is slightly
light polluted from north and therefore my SQM = 20.9 for this part of the
sky.
Limiting magnitude was near 6.0 mag. Site latitude is 43 degree, 1600
meters above sea level.

By my observing results, Ursids had a little increasing of level of its
activity in that year. Here is my report:

18:40 - 19:20 (UT) |  No Ursids were seen.

19:30 - 20:00 (UT) |   3 Ursids: red meteor (1 mag.), dim meteor (4.5 mag)
almost immediately after first meteor, very short 3 mag. Ursid exactly from
radiant point.

20:10 - 20:50 (UT) |  No Ursids were seen.

21:40 - 22:30 (UT) |   4 Ursids: relatively faint meteors from 3.0 mag to
5.5 mag.

00:10 - 01:10 (UT) |  10 Ursids: two of them had -2 mag. and prominent long
dusty trail, others was enough dim - from 4.0 mag. to  6.0 mag.

Teff = 3.6 hours
Total amount of Ursids meteors: 17

Usually, meteors appeared by groups of 2-3, after that followed time of no
activity.

On my opinion, for those who want to observe the most faint meteors, Ursids
is best meteor shower for it - because, generally, by my experience, it
consists from a lot of that faint meteors.

For me, it was enough spectacular Ursids meteor sky show! It was remarkable
observing night!

Clear skies for all!

Pavel Zhavoronkov, from Russia.