(meteorobs) Quadrantids from South Carolina

meteors at comcast.net meteors at comcast.net
Sun Jan 5 10:31:08 EST 2014

I had hoped to observe the mornings of January 3 and 4, but it was
cloudy and rainy all through the morning of the 3rd. Being a club
observing weekend, I decided to observe from Givhan's State Park, SC in
hopes some of my club members would join me in a meteor watch. With the
low temperature being forecast at 27 degrees F, no one else showed up
and the field was all mine.

I observed deep sky objects with my Celestron C9.25 until 2300 hours,
packed everything up, and was meteor observing shortly after midnight.
My plans were to observe during the period shortly after midnight in
hopes of catching any last minute activity since the peak was expected
to have occurred several hours earlier. My first Quadrantid rose up from
the horizon at 0029 hours EST.

Quadrantid rates were very low, just a couple thrown in each hour. I saw
more sporadics than I expected, and a few Anthelions, so there was
enough activity to make it an enjoyable morning. After a couple hours
the cold began to creep in, so I loaded up and headed home. Even though
activity wasn't great, and I once again missed the Quad peak, it had
been a while since I had clear skies to observe so I was happy.

--
Mark Davis, South Carolina, USA
meteors at comcast.net
namn at namnmeteors.org