(meteorobs) Comet ISON

Pat Branch pat_branch at yahoo.com
Wed Jan 8 23:45:01 EST 2014

Thought I had responded to Pzeller, but don't see it...sorry if this duplicates.
I do not have the expertise to determine a meteor shower radiant. I  cannot convert between RA/DEC and AZ/EL I have mostly been repeating  what a Brazilian astronomer Carlos Di Pietro has been telling me. The  radiant will move a little each day. From his calculations it should  start between 32 DRA and 14 DRA and move toward 11 DRA as the Jan 12-18  time frame unfolds. But this seems to be the predicted position of ISON  if it would have survived.

My own personal opinion is why wouldn't it be around the top of Gemini  (Castor and Pollux)? The particles hitting earth on Jan 15th should be  ones ejected around Aug 17th when ISON was still beyond Mars. Shouldn't  the RA and DEC be the values for ISON at that time? (seriously someone  smarter than me answer that)
That would make the Jan 15th RA/DEC position (for someone in mid North  America) 8h 20m 31.7s, 23d 37' 47'' which puts it at the top of Gemini  moving toward Cancer? The radiant should move about 1m20s in RA and  -5'20" in DEC each day.
So Jan 12 is 8h16m31s, 23d53'38" and Jan 18 is 8h24m37s, 23d21'17"

Now hopefully we will get a real astronomer to correct me.