(meteorobs) I made some mistakes in the previous post

Jay Salsburg jsalsburg at bellsouth.net
Mon Jan 13 17:10:15 EST 2014

WOW, I made some mistakes in the previous post (from going too fast), here
is a correction...

Hello Felix

Thank you for your observation.

Consider this. The very nature of Doppler RADAR is that the character of the
recordings and displays are described in ideal terms or concepts. In
reality, this is never the case, only approaching the ideal, never obtaining
it. This is the case with Forward scatter RADAR, it widely departs from the
ideal, never attaining precise velocity measurements.

Imagine the transmitter/receiver Antennae are separated by 120 Km. On a flat
Earth, unless the transmitter/receiver Antennae are off the ground by more
than 30 or 40 meters minimum, there is no line of sight between them; the
curvature of the Earth places the Earth between them. Depending on certain
physical arrangements of the antennae, reflections from aircraft are always
above the horizon between the transmitter and receiver which can occur
directly over the transmitter. The reflected energy from Aircraft typically
pass the center frequency of the transmitter as it crosses the zero vector
between the transmitter and receiver. This is characterized by the
Aircraft's "S" shaped return.

There is always an angle of movement of the reflecting body between the
transmitter and receiver by its very geometry being out the line of sight.
Displayed and recorded Aircraft velocities (and meteor trails) from Forward
scatter are thus always lower than their actual speed. In the case of
Forward scatter Space RADAR reflecting from ground-to-sky-to-ground, the
angle is typically a low cosine of the angle approaching and coming near
zero, causing the Doppler frequency to be low; near the carrier frequency.
METEOR trails are at least 10 times higher than Aircraft, so the angle of
incidence is very different from Aircraft.

If an aircraft is moving 500 MPH, its ideal Doppler frequency from a 50 MHz
transmitter is near 700 Hz. But this would only be if the angle of movement
is parallel which it can never be, for many reasons foremost of which is the
aircraft is always above the line of sight between transmitter and receiver,
never on the line of sight of the transmitter and receiver; a line that
passes through the Earth.

The Doppler shift frequency is equal to (two times the velocity,) times (the
transmitter frequency, divided by the speed of light,) (times the cosine of
the angle between the beam and the target's path.) Since Forward scatter is
being detected, the angle between the beam and the target's path is
(complex) 3 dimensional, the arrival/departure Doppler shift inverted from
Back Scatter RADAR.

Felix, in your previous email you attached a screenshot from your receiver,
of a recording of Aircraft movement and the significant return of a meteor
trail reflection passing through the carrier frequency, indicating the trail
was moving across the plane of incidence (line of sight) between the
transmitter and receiver. The massive Doppler return is a broad reflection
caused by many returned frequencies from a large object, I refer to as a
smudge reflection. Smaller objects like aircraft return a more monotonic
Doppler frequency than larger moving objects like Meteor ion trails.

With my higher frequency Backscatter RADARs (35 GHz) when recording
automobiles at close range, cars cause smudge reflections; the front has
passed through the line of sight before the rear of the car causing a
reflection of many objects passing the line of sight at different speeds
(angles).
Different parts of the car are simultaneously moving at different angles to
the line of incidence.

When my Backscatter RADAR is parallel to the ground while Rain falls through
the beam, Smudge reflections are returned similar in character to the Meteor
return in your recording.