(meteorobs) July meteors

Paul Martsching pmartsching at mchsi.com
Wed Jul 23 10:35:17 EDT 2014

Last night was the first clear night in a long time.  I went out for a couple hours to see what was going on.  There was quite a bit of horizon haze.  A cool front came thru in the afternoon, but hadn't cleared out the humidity yet.  Enough mosquitoes after moderate flooding a couple weeks ago.  Usual site 4 miles NE of Ames, IA.  Best meteor - 4 orange SDA with 2 second train.  Much too fast to be ANT.

23 July 0434-0535 UT 71 deg F; dew pt 63 deg F; wind N 10 mph; clear with horizon haze; aver LM 5.4; facing SSE 50 deg; teff 1.0 hour.
ANT: one: +3
CAP: one: - 1
SDA: one: +3
Sporadics: three: +3(2); +4
Total meteors: six

23 July 0535-0635 UT 70 deg F; dew pt 62 deg F; wind N 10 mph; clear with horizon haze; aver LM 5.4; facing SSE 50 deg; teff 1.0 hour.
ANT: none
CAP: none
SDA: three: - 4; +2; +3
Sporadics: three: +2; +3(2)
Total meteors: six

Facing SSE isn't the best direction for dark sky from this location, but I need to be able to distinguish the various southern showers.