(meteorobs) July meteors

Paul Martsching pmartsching at mchsi.com
Tue Jul 29 12:15:49 EDT 2014

Last night was clear, but hazy.  The haze gradually worsened thru out the session.  I faced SE to avoid the rather bad sky glow over Ames in the SW while still being able to distinguish southern shower meteors.  I stayed out a while longer than three hours, but conditions worsened, so I went home.  Spotty fog on drive home.  Too much corn and soy beans.  Tomorrow forecast to be clear.  Hope not so hazy!  Three deer and one skunk crossed road in front of me on drive home.

Giving average LM in FOV to account for the haze.  Only +4 SDA's were meteors that traveled 10 plus degrees and were well above the radiant.  Of course in general I only see +4 meteors in the upper half of my FOV.  I saw no ANT's, PAU's or ERI's.

29 July 2014 0450-0550 UT 59 deg F; dew pt 56 deg F; wind NW 3 mph; clear with considerable horizon haze; average LM in FOV 5.3; facing SE 50 deg; teff 1.0 hour.
CAP: two: 0, +1
PER: none
SDA: two: +3; +4
Sporadics: two: +3(2)
Total meteors: six

29 July 2014 0550-0650 UT 58 deg F; dew pt 55 deg F; wind NW 3 mph; clear with considerable horizon haze; aver LM in FOV 5.2; facing SE 50 deg; teff 1.0 hr.
CAP: none
PER: three: - 2; +1(2)
SDA: four: 0; +2; +4(2)
Sporadics: two: +2; +4
Total meteors: nine

29 July 2014 0650-0750 UT 57 deg F; dew pt 54 deg F; wind calm; clear with increasing horizon haze; aver LM in FOV 5.1; facing SE 50 deg; teff 1.0 hr.
CAP: two: - 3; 0
PER: one: +2
SDA: three: +1; +3(2)
Sporadics: three: +1; +3(2)
Total meteors: nine

29 July 2014 0750-0820 UT 58 deg F; dew pt 54 deg F; wind NW 5 mph; worsening horizon haze; aver LM in FOV 4.8; facing ESE 50 deg trying to evade worst of the increasing sky glow over Ames in SW; teff 30 minutes.
CAP: none
PER: one: +1
SDA: two: +2; +4
Sporadics: two: +1; +2