(meteorobs) July 30/31 2014 South delta Aquariids from North Florida

Paul Jones jonesp0854 at gmail.com
Thu Jul 31 05:19:05 EDT 2014

Greetings all,
      I just got in from a fascinating and totally absorbing two hour
pre-dawn meteor watch from my roof top meteor perch here in St. Augustine,
Florida.  I had crystal clear and star-filled skies and close to perfect
conditions.
      The meteor activity was superb!!  Overall, I had a total of 58
meteors between 3:00 a.m. and 5:00 a.m. local time - almost 30 per hour
total meteor counts!!  .  All the usual radiants were seen with the SDAs
hitting 11 per hour and the PERs going to 8 per hour.  Saw a couple of
gorgeous Piscis Austrinids and a stunning earth grazing sporadic cover
almost the entire sky.  Wow! What a session!
No fireballs though, several minus ones were the best I could do on
magnitude. The crystal clear skies let me catch a bunch of real faint ones
that I would probably never have seen under poorer skies, padding my rates
considerably.

I'll decipher my notes and make a more complete report later.  Time for
some shut eye...;o).

Mor eater, Paul in North Florida