(meteorobs) Deficit of southern meteor streams apparently confirmed

Chris Peterson clp at alumni.caltech.edu
Sun Mar 23 21:42:36 EDT 2014

The first question to ask is if it is, indeed, significant, where that
term is rigorously defined statistically. In fact, the imbalance between
northern and southern streams may be within reasonable error bars given
the number of total streams.

If the imbalance is found to be statistically significant, I'd look for
some association between outer planet resonances and the inclinations of
Earth and the outer planets with respect to the invariable plane. It's
almost certainly something that would require numerical modeling to study.

Chris

Chris L Peterson
Cloudbait Observatory
http://www.cloudbait.com