(meteorobs) Deficit of southern meteor streams apparently confirmed

Jay Salsburg jsalsburg at bellsouth.net
Fri Mar 28 04:35:15 EDT 2014

Hello Daniel

I am writing about Capture of EVENTS, not analysis. There just is not enough
quality (Image Capture) Observatories in place. The Technology for capturing
Video is accelerating, with no end in sight; no pun intended. A
comprehensive adaptation program is needed; just like everything, it is a
matter of money.

Software for real time High Definition Meteor Capture is nonexistent for new
cameras. Much research and development is needed. Deployment of High
Definition Video Capture Stations is not in the future of any organization I
can witness; otherwise it would be reported in Newsletters like this one. 20
year-old obsolete technology is still in place, and scant at that. 20 years
ago we were still using 8 bit computers, and the Web was just getting
started.

I understand there is current technology being used to capture Meteor
activity but these observatories are the exception. Unlike Astronomy where
the objects of interest rise above the horizon reliably every night and
season, Meteors are sporadic and localized atmospheric events requiring
extensive arrays of optical Observatories for "Real Science", and like I
said, there is no reliable network in place to effectively observe the
Earth's atmosphere with any Scientific certainty requiring the application
of flaccid interpretation.

To be serious, let us talk about funding research and development (Where's
the Money). My comments are not intended to be arrogant, I am just
impatient.

Jay Salsburg