(meteorobs) Deficit of southern meteor streams apparently confirmed

Jay Salsburg jsalsburg at bellsouth.net
Sat Mar 29 22:58:30 EDT 2014

Hello Dan
Here is an example of the source of my anger...
I went to IMONet, entered "camera" in the search field. The first search
went to "Camera and Lens for Photography of Faint Meteors" (using film). The
Page referred in sequence to.
Camera and Lens for Photography of Faint Meteors
Choosing a Suitable Film for Meteor Photography
Photographic Fireball Patrol

These articles should be archived under "OBSOLETE" so they do not rise to
the top of searches for technology to record Meteor activity.

These topics are decades old, with non-scientific approaches to
instrumentation. It is an obsolete concept to record Meteor activity with
film and eyeballs. This is my point. While the IMO is a respectable
organization, it needs to join the rest of us in the 21st Century. Perhaps a
Futurist would be a better choice of leadership than a Film Photographer.

My point is; even though there may someone using 21st Century technology to
record Meteor activity, there needs to be a concerted effort by those in
leadership of Observation Organizations pushing for current and advanced
technology to record Meteors, and stop promotion of DATA recorded with
obsolete technology and amateurish pencil and paper observation recording
from lawn chairs.

Pardon my dust.