(meteorobs) Deficit of southern meteor streams apparently confirmed

Chris Peterson clp at alumni.caltech.edu
Sun Mar 30 00:49:44 EDT 2014

Maybe there are websites that need to be updated. But the reality is, go
to a meteoritics conference, amateur or professional, and there will be
many talks and posters on video techniques and on video camera networks.
Hundreds of cameras run every night, thousands more sporadically. They
represent modern technology well suited to the task, and are key in
identifying very subtle streams. There is a lot of information out there
for anybody interested in joining existing networks or starting new
ones. And there is ongoing development of cameras and software utilizing
newer technology, mainly higher resolution cameras. Visual meteor
observing has its place, and there are those who choose to operate this
way. Instrumented data, however, is not being collected with obsolete
technology. It is adding data to publicly accessible databases at a
growing rate. There's no real need for a special push from meteor
organizations.

Chris

Chris L Peterson
Cloudbait Observatory