(meteorobs) Curved traces

Paul Jones jonesp0854 at gmail.com
Fri May 2 09:11:17 EDT 2014

Hi Michael, Pavel and all,
     It's funny you should mention your odd Perseid watch related
experience.  I was about to email the list with my own one and only "kinky
sort of" meteor experience
 that also occurred during a Perseid maximum watch, this one in the early
eighties (1983 or 84, I believe).
     A group of us had all gathered at Mark Adam's Fellesmere, Florida
observing site that year, as his was the only clear spot in all of Florida
it seemed that morning.
 The Per rates were rocking, hitting around 90 or so an hour, so a lot was
going on up there, but around 3:30 a.m. that morning most of us present all
saw an amazing thing happen.  A +2 Perseid meteor seemed to do an abrupt 90
degree turn in Andromeda and tear off perpendicular to its orignial track!
We all let out a yell and asked each other if we had all indeed seen what
we thought we just saw.  We all did!
    It was way too busy for us to go into deep discussion and/or
debate about it at the time, but looking back on it, I think we may have
seen a rare occurance of one meteor (a sporadic) beginning its path almost
at the same split second and on the exact same point on the sky  where
the Perseid was ending its track.  I guess you could probably call it a
trick of perspective, rather than an actual optical illusion, but it sure
was amazing at the time!    I've never seen that happen before or since
either.

Clear skies and lots of eta Aquariids to all, Paul in N FLA