(meteorobs) Curved traces

Skywayinc at aol.com Skywayinc at aol.com
Fri May 2 10:12:23 EDT 2014

The only time I ever saw a meteor on a curved path was  during the Leonid
outburst in 1969.
I saw a "radial" meteor . . . that is, coming almost  directly out of the
radiant.  But instead of appearing as point of light, it described a very
small semicircle; a curve  perhaps measuring no more than a half degree
across.

This Leonid appeared to curve in a clockwise direction,  was about -1
magnitude and appeared a very distinct aquamarine in  color. It ended as
what might be described as a vaporous "puff" that lasted about five seconds.

I still have a vivid memory of it, even after 45 years.

-- joe rao

In a message dated 5/2/2014 4:19:28 A.M. Eastern Daylight Time,