(meteorobs) Curved traces

Chris Peterson clp at alumni.caltech.edu
Fri May 2 13:25:46 EDT 2014

I'm skeptical that meteors exist with trails that deviate far enough
from linear motion to be perceptible to the unaided eye. The lack of
photographic evidence supports that view.

It is instructive to calculate the force a body traveling at hypersonic
speeds experiences in order to produce a visibly curved or oscillatory
motion- it is much higher than any reasonable material strength.

I think anecdotal observations are better explained by various visual
artifacts. There are plenty of candidates- projection confusion, normal
and abnormal saccades, paired events, head or eye tracking errors. I've
personally seen a star or two move suddenly with respect to other
stars... and I'm even more skeptical that was real than I am about bent
meteor trails!

That's not to say that meteor tracks are perfectly linear (of course,
there's always a tiny degree of gravity focusing). Telescopic views of
meteors such as those made by Peter Brown's group at UWO show all manner
of interesting motion: fragmentations and aerodynamic or explosive
deviations from straight flight. But these things weren't observed
before the technology allowed for tracked telescopic observations. The
deviations are just too small to be resolved visually.

Chris

Chris L Peterson
Cloudbait Observatory
http://www.cloudbait.com