(meteorobs) Curved traces

Paul Martsching pmartsching at mchsi.com
Fri May 2 13:52:49 EDT 2014

Maybe the wake (or trail or streak) following the meteor is doing what ever, as the meteor comes down thru the atmosphere, with varying density of air and direction of high altitude winds.  Maybe the wake propagates more on one side than the other for a little ways and then it propagates more on the other side???  At the distance of a meteor the amount of motion would have to be a lot in order to be seen from the ground so any change in the motion of the meteor itself could not possibly be noticed.  But perhaps the wake may be distorted extremely quickly by various forces??  I am very reluctant to write much on this subject.  When I wore glasses observing on very rare occasion I would see a meter that seemed to curve slightly, but I just thought it was because of my glasses and my extreme astigmatism.  On two or three occasions I have seen a meteor wobble - apparently corkscrewing.  One has to be very careful about eye "motions" even if you are holding your head still.  Twice I have seen negative magnitude meteors that appeared to be corkscrewing nearly head-on.  I don't know if this was real, or just slight circular eye movement??    With all the video meteor recorders going these days, sooner or later somebody should get a good example if the effect is real.