(meteorobs) Eta Aquarids - Iowa

Paul Martsching pmartsching at mchsi.com
Sat May 3 14:27:52 EDT 2014

There was enough "break" in the persistent clouds to get three hours observing in this morning under not too bad conditions.  Of course I did not expect to see any ETA's during the first hour, but I was up checking the sky conditions and decided to begin early.  I hope to reach a lifetime total of at least 100 ETA's this year.  The weather is often uncooperative this time of year.  Last year it snowed 6 inches on May 2nd and rained more than 3 inches over the next week, but I did get out one morning with unusually good results for my latitude.  Thru out the entire session from time to time various patches and streaks of haze moved thru.  The haze was fairly noticeable near the horizon in all directions.  All morning there was lit cloud and or haze over Ames in the SW.  The brightest ETA was mag 0, yellow with train lasting 2 seconds.

Usual location McFarland Park 4 miles NE of Ames, Story Co, Iowa.

03 May 2014 06:45 - 07:45 UT; 45 deg F; dew pt 38 deg F; wind W 9 mph; "fair"; LM 5.4; facing E 50 deg; teff 1 hr.
ANT: one: +2
Sporadics: six: +1; +2(2); +3(3)
Total meteors: seven

03 May 2014 07:45 - 08:45 UT; 43 deg F; dew pt 37 deg F; wind W 10 mph; "fair"; LM 5.3; facing E 50 deg; teff 1 hr.
ANT: one: +2
ETA: one: +4
Sporadics: three: +1; +2(2)
Total meteors: five

03 May 2014 08:45 - 09:45 UT; 43 deg F; dew pt 36 deg F; wind W 7 mph; "fair"; LM 5.3; facing E 50 deg; teff 1.0 hr.
ANT: none
ETA: four: 0; +1; +3(2)
Sporadics: five: 0; +2(2); +3(2)
Total meteors: nine