(meteorobs) Question - radio meteor

Michael Boschat andromed at dal.ca
Mon May 5 14:15:25 EDT 2014

Hi all:

 I had the radio on and set to 83.25 MHz then using a spectrum  analyizer with everything connected we set the
whole thing to a peak at to 83.25 MHz. Ch.6. Never touched it since then. The filter is to block other "noise" from
walkover. This is what I use:

Listening Frequency: 83.24 MHz
Receiver: Icom R-10
Antenna : resonant dipole
Antenna Direction: Horizontally polarized with lobes in E-W plane, elev 0 deg
Filter  : high-Q (Q at least 300) bandpass filter between antenna &   receiver.
Listening Mode: CW
Recording method: listening by ear

 I was just messing with the different modes, being bored that I get nothing much anymore and remember when I first
started in 98 I used AM and heard the tones. I was told to use CW as that was better.

 I tried listening to what you mentioned Paul but had no results of hearing anything just hard noise and no pings or anything,
gave up on that. The guys out west Canada use 61.24 MHz -- no idea what they are hearing but they have good rates!  again
I just hear nothing but static.

 Someone did mention that there was one TV transmitter in analogue farther down my province so that may be were I hear the
meteors form but it is only 1 transmitter, not like before were all the east coast had lots and I had great numbers of meteors.

ahhh well... see if anything is detected on the 24/25th if overcast....

Clear skies