(meteorobs) Question - radio meteor

Paul Goelz pgoelz at comcast.net
Mon May 5 20:51:37 EDT 2014

At 04:20 PM 5/5/2014, you wrote:
>I remember 2010 Perseids in Poland when i've tried to observe with
>AM receiver on ~59.75MHz. Meteor echoes were easily audible as a
>loud whistling sounds. There was a 5 element log-period antenna used
>and transmitters were also very strong, located 300km away, these
>pings were audible with very strong signal and with plenty of TV
>stations on this frequency
>Currently my radio receiver listen on 49.75MHz in CW mode. Old one
>receiver working with AM modulation is sometimes switched on for
>some comparisons. Only the strongest echoes doing some king of mess
>in AM background noise, CW is much more usable for meteors ;)
>
>Best greetings
>
>Przemyslaw Zoladek
>PFN

I switched from USB to AM for a couple hours tonight while monitoring
via spectrogram on 55.250 MHz just out of curiosity.  On USB, there
were few.... but some.... meteors.  On AM I got zero meteors.  I'll
leave it on AM overnight and see what it looks like in the morning,
when the count is usually much higher.  But in my brief experiment so
far, USB vastly outperforms AM when examining the results with a spectrogram.

Paul

Paul Goelz
Rochester Hills, MI
pgoelz at comcast.net