(meteorobs) Question - radio meteor

Paul Goelz pgoelz at comcast.net
Tue May 6 07:15:08 EDT 2014

At 08:51 PM 5/5/2014, you wrote:
>I switched from USB to AM for a couple hours tonight while monitoring
>via spectrogram on 55.250 MHz just out of curiosity.  On USB, there
>were few.... but some.... meteors.  On AM I got zero meteors.  I'll
>leave it on AM overnight and see what it looks like in the morning,
>when the count is usually much higher.  But in my brief experiment so
>far, USB vastly outperforms AM when examining the results with a spectrogram.
>
>Paul

Well, monitoring all night on 55.250 AM, I got zero meteors on the
spectrogram.  At least nothing that looked like a meteor..... ie.,
short duration.  The only signal I detected was a semi-continuous
"tone" spread out over 20-50 Hz and centered on 1200 Hz and a
secondary one (harmonic?) on 2400 Hz.  It looked like a steady
carrier would look on USB if it was reflected from the auroral
curtain.  I suspect it is local, but it does fade in and out randomly
like it is affected by propagation so it might be a distant signal of
some sort.

When I switched back to 55.249 USB, meteors were plentiful (average
of about 2/minute).

So the verdict here at least is use USB, LSB or CW.

Paul

Paul Goelz
Rochester Hills, MI
pgoelz at comcast.net