(meteorobs) Question - radio meteor

Paul Goelz pgoelz at comcast.net
Tue May 6 10:29:58 EDT 2014

At 09:19 AM 5/6/2014, you wrote:
>I don't believe that AM would be the optimum mode.  If you were to
>use AM, you would need to be able to sense signal strength, and set
>a threshold for tripping a counter.

Yes, I'm aware that AM is not optimum.  I was trying it because
others have reported hearing pings on AM and I was curious.  The only
mechanism I can see to get a tone from a meteor on AM is if the
Doppler shifted meteor reflection mixed with residual carrier and
produced a beat.  But based on my results using USB, the predominant
Doppler shift for the strongest part of the echo is only 10-20 Hz max.

I do all my monitoring on 55.249 MHz USB.  Weak residual carrier,
lots of airplanes and very good meteor detection.  I get airplanes
and some meteors on 55.239 MHz USB with a fairly strong residual
carrier.  I get a carrier on 55.249 USB but no airplanes or meteors
and I believe that signal is CATV leakage.

Antenna is a 6M halo at 25 feet.  Receiver is a Kenwood TS480.  I get
very similar results with a TV tuner dongle and HDSDR software.

Paul

Paul Goelz
Rochester Hills, MI
pgoelz at comcast.net