(meteorobs) Possible (?) meteor current activity by 209P/LINEAR comet. 2014 May 12 UT.

Esko Lyytinen esko.lyytinen at jippii.fi
Tue May 13 15:10:55 EDT 2014

Hi,

I also confirm your latest email about the new fireball.

In the latest WGN issue http://www.imo.net/node/1552 , there is an
article by Damir Segon, Peter Gural, Zeljko Andreic, Ivica Skovkic,
Korado Korlevic, Denis Vida, and Filip Novoselnik that also discusses
the expected 209P/linear shower and its possible detection in existing
meteor datas.  And this considers linking of the IAU working list
showers 451 CAM and 532 MLD to this comet.
And if these are really connected to the comet, then the (weak) activity
period would be from April 24 to June 4 , as also appears in the short
description of Peter Jenniskens, about this at the
http://meteor.seti.org/ page.
The meteoroids in these showers, if really from 209P, are more old than
what is modeled for the outburst.
Actually the comet orbit perihelion has been about 0.1 au more close to
the Sun about 300 years ago, and so the comet maybe more active then.

We here in Finland had in 2013,May, 18 at 00:07:51 UT a fireball
(captured by Johan Lindén , in Turku) that maybe was from this shower.
Unfortunately this was only a one station meteor and only crossed the
corner of the fireball camera, so that neither the beginnig nor the end
was visible.
This observation could be fitted with practically no systematic trend in
the residuals (for total residuals, RMS 0.045 deg) of the 46 measured
and internally timed frames (also with good deceleration model), close
to the comet orbit.
And if this really was from the shower, then the derived dynamic mass
was big enough to have dropped an about 1 kg meteorite down.

This made me think that if the sky is clear here in Finland during the
predicted shower, I will try to tune my fireball camera to observe in
the daylight for a possible daylight fireball. I advice others in
daylight area also to do this, if practically possible. I do not think
one such fireball really quite probable, but possible anyway.
And it deserves to keep an eye now for the fireballs that may appear
also before this, like Salvador Aguirre did.
I hope (also) multistation fireballs for this.

Esko