(meteorobs) Question - radio meteor

Jay Salsburg jsalsburg at bellsouth.net
Tue May 6 18:46:35 EDT 2014

In the list below Michael, a Channel 6 Station is shown to be in Middleton.
Assuming you are in Halifax, and you are receiving Pings 75 miles from the
transmitter in Middleton, you are an ideal distance for receiving pings. In
the Table below showing Antenna elevation, notice that the direction of ping
incidence onto your antenna at 75 miles is approximately 60 degrees; in
addition, orient the antenna vertically for vertical polarization; the
elements pointing up and down rather than horizontal. By tilting or pointing
your antenna toward the source of the forward scatter reflections, you will
boost the gain of the Pings by almost 50%.

NS = Nova Scotia/Nouvelle-Écosse
CBHT-14 Aspen NS
CBHT-18 Blue Mountain NS
CBIT-17 Bay St. Lawrence NS
CBHT-9 Caledonia NS
CBIT-2 Cheticamp NS
CBHT-15 Country Harbour NS
CBHT-7 Digby NS
CBIT-16 Dingwall NS
CBHT-19 Garden of Eden NS
CBHT-13 Goshen NS
CBIT-15 Ingonish NS
CBIT-19 Inverness NS
CBHT-1 Liverpool NS
CBHT-12 Lochaber NS
CBIT-4 Mabou NS
CBIT-5 Margaree NS
CBIT-20 Middle River NS
CBHT-6 Middleton NS
CBHT-11 Mulgrave NS
CBIT-6 Northeast Margaree NS
CBHT-5 New Glasgow NS
CBIT-3 Pleasant Bay NS
CBHT-4 Sheet Harbour NS
CBHT-2 Shelburne NS
CBHT-16 Sherbrooke NS
CBHT-17 Sunnybrae NS
CBHT-8 Truro NS
CBHT-10 Weymouth NS
CBIT-18 Whycocomagh NS
CBHT-3 Yarmouth NS

From: http://www.k5kj.net/meteor.htm

Antenna Elevation Angle versus Distance between Transmitter and Receiver in
Miles:
Distance in Miles between TX & RX	1/2 Distance	Antenna Elevation
Angle in Degrees
60	30	63
90	45	53
120	60	45