(meteorobs) Global coverage of the 209P/LINEAR dust trails encounter

Josep Maria Trigo trigo at ieec.uab.es
Mon May 19 05:57:14 EDT 2014

    Dear colleagues,

    Great that you are keeping an eye to the global activity. FYI, let
me explain that in order to popularize in Spanish-speaking countries the
encounter beetween the Earth and 209P/LINEAR dust trails I have
published this info and observing call in my SciLog blogs:
http://www.investigacionyciencia.es/blogs/astronomia/45/posts/una-tormenta-meterica-el-prximo-24-de-mayo-12078

    Feel free to distribute this link among colleagues. We are also
promoting a global coverage over Central and South America from the Liga
Iberoamericana de Astronomía (LIADA: www.liada.net), having obviously in
mind the observational constraints. From most of these countries the
radiant is low or under the horizon and the activity will occur in broad
daylight, but we cannot discard the presence of large Earth-grazing
bolides that might be, particularly under the right geometric
circumstances, sources of meteorites. Remember the Ye and Wiegert (2014)
MNRAS 437, 3283 predictions about the particle size. To recover a
meteorite from this evolved (transitional) comet could be of the highest
scientific relevance.

    Good luck to everyone!

 Ph.D. Josep M. Trigo-Rodríguez
 Tenured Scientist at the Institute of Space Sciences (ICE, CSIC-IEEC)
 P.I. ICE Group on Meteorites, Minor bodies, and Planetary Sciences
 Group research goals:
http://www.ice.csic.es/en/view_research_line.php?RID=16
 Peer-review papers: http://www.spmn.uji.es/ESP/ICE_Meteorite_group.html
 Campus UAB, Sciences Faculty
 Tower C-5, even, 2ond floor
 08193 Bellaterra (Barcelona), SPAIN
 Homepage: http://www.spmn.uji.es/ESP/trigo.html
 E-mail: trigo at ice.csic.es
 Telephone: +(34)935814778 ;  Fax: +(34)935814363