(meteorobs) fireball camelopardalid

Steven Kolins smkolins at mac.com
Fri May 23 06:58:58 EDT 2014

On May 23, 2014, at 6:48 AM, trigo at ieec.uab.es wrote:

> Dear Steven et al.,
>
> Please forgive me for being party poopers, but we think you are wrong
> about the origin of that signal. The echoes you are hearing are probably
> from a propagation that is called Sporadic E.

I don’t mind clarity.

On reading about Sporadic E:

"As its name suggests, sporadic E is an abnormal event, not the usual condition, but can happen at almost any time; it does, however, display seasonal patterns. Sporadic E activity peaks predictably in the summertime in both hemispheres. In North America, the peak is most noticeable in mid-to-late June, trailing off through July and into August. A much smaller peak is seen around the winter solstice. Activity usually begins in mid-December in the southern hemisphere, with the days immediately after Christmas being the most active period.”
-http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sporadic_E_propagation

I’m a bit confused by the above - sporadic yet across months? If it a brief event that occurs more in some months than others or something that averages out across a year to rarely but does tend to be prolonged over weeks or months sometimes?

Do you folks have experience that prolonged activity is possible or even likely sometimes? Or could it be a combination of meteors and Sporadic E?

> Our SPMN colleague (Gonzalo
> Morillas) is doing radio monitoring from Jaén (Spain) in a higher VHF
> frequency (French radiostation GRAVES) at about 143.05 MHz where such
> effect should be much lower. In such frequency there is nothing unusual
> (yet).

And I agree that makes it seem less likely as Sporadic E has a top off (again as mentioned in Wikipedia.)

> In any case, our first Camelopardalid bolide over Spain occurred yesterday
> and will be soon posted on our SPMN bolide list:
> http://www.spmn.uji.es/ESP/SPMNlist.html

:-)

Steven Kolins
mailto:smkolins at mac.com
http://smk99.blogspot.com/
Possess a pure, kindly and radiant heart!