(meteorobs) May Camelopardalid plans

Paul Goelz pgoelz at comcast.net
Fri May 23 15:18:37 EDT 2014

At 02:37 PM 5/23/2014, you wrote:
>Paul,
>
>At least one of the two transmitters must not be too far away since
>you are picking up aircraft reflections.

Good point.  A real DUH, actually ;)  I never did the
math.  Lessee.... Wikkipedia says about 500 miles (250 miles to the
horizon at each end), give or take.   Maybe a bit farther with refraction etc.

I get an even stronger residual carrier on 55.239 MHz with more
airplanes and fewer meteors.  I get nothing at all on 55.249 MHz
except a steady carrier that I assume is cable leakage (we have one
cable provider here that I think still carries analog).

I have tried the higher VHF NTSC frequencies and occasionally get
meteors but not reliably.  Ditto for the VHF ATSC frequencies.  So
when the day comes that both of these CH. 2c transmitters go dark, I'm sunk.

Paul

Paul Goelz
Rochester Hills, MI
pgoelz at comcast.net