(meteorobs) Camelopardalids from Spain

trigo at ieec.uab.es trigo at ieec.uab.es
Sat May 24 06:06:23 EDT 2014

   Hello everyone!

   Observing last night from Montseny Natural Park (Barcelona, Catalonia,
Spain) under great skies (Lm: 6.2-6.1) we noticed some weak, but
evident CAM activity. Most CAM meteors seen were quite faint: +3 to +5
magn. The brightest one was a -2 magn. meteor with an ending flare at
0h11m07s TUC. I plotted ten of them so I got a reasonable location of
the radiant.

Observing Periods (UTC):

23h30-00h35, Teff=1.00, Lm=6.2, CAM=10, SPO=4
01h15-02h18, Teff=0.97, Lm=6.1, CAM=3, SPO=1

   I decided not plotting other meteors, but checking our recorded video
data we also noticed quite nice meteors radiating from the Ophiuchids
and Sagitarid complexes. Only few CAM were bright enough to be recorded
by our cameras.

   From 02h30m to around 3h30 UTC no very brigth CAM meteors (at least in
visual), but I must say that I considered better not performing
weather-biased observations due to the presence of high clouds.

   Finally, a SPMN forward-scatter station operated by Lorenzo Morilla
detects this increase in normal rates around 23h. A moderate increase
with peak around 5h TU in 177 echoes. Then, a clear decrease.

   Regards,
Dr. Josep M. Trigo-Rodríguez
Tenured Scientist at the Institute of Space Sciences (CSIC-IEEC)
P.I. Meteorites, Minor Bodies and Planetary Sciences Research Group
Group homepage: http://www.ice.cat/en/view_research_line.php?RID=16
Research papers: http://www.spmn.uji.es/ESP/ICE_Meteorite_group.html
Campus UAB, Facultad de Ciencias,
Torre C-5, pares, 2º piso