(meteorobs) No Meteor Storm or Major Shower Seen

pzeller1966 pzeller1966 at gmail.com
Sat May 24 06:16:13 EDT 2014

I'm a firm believer that negative data is still valuable data. I was only
able to see one Camelopardalid meteor this morning in two hours of careful
visual observing from the Indianapolis Southeast Side. So, as far as I can
see, there was no meteor storm or even a major shower. There was perhaps a
minor shower. Here are some details:

  First session 6:30 - 7:30 UT May 24. Center of FOV was 17h +65°. LM =
4.87 mag. No meteors seen at all even though by my standards, with city
lighting, the sky was about as clear as it can get.

  Second session 8:00 - 9:00 UT May 24. Center of FOV = 19h +70°. LM = 4.82
mag. 1 CAM seen at 8:24 UT. This was a 2.0 mag. flare below Polaris and
Gamma Cephei very close to the radiant.

  Dawn light ended my observing on this clear but chilly late May morning.
I hope others had better luck!

  Paul Z.