(meteorobs) CAM results in 2014 and prospects for 2019

Mikhail Maslov skjeller at yandex.ru
Tue May 27 04:43:15 EDT 2014

Hello all,

So, now we know that CAMs showed a small, but definite activity
with ZHR about 15. Visual results are confirmed by radar observations
in terms of activity presence. I would like to thank all observers
that countributed to the CAM activity profile.

These results are very valuable as it can be concluded now that
cometary activity of 209P was very low in past two-three centures, as even such a
favorable computed circumstances resulted only in that modest
activity.

The next return of CAMs can be expected in 2019 - this time the
Earth encounters a relatively young 1939 trail. The timing
is favorable for the USA again - 8:00 UT on 24 May 2019.

Now the intensity of this activity can be predicted much more
accurately, basing on the results of CAMs-2014, and it is expected to
be very low, of course, with ZHR of ~5, with large share of bright
meteors. Radiant would be almost the same: RA=123°, Dec=+80°. I suppose
all such cases of unusual activity are interesting, as nothing is
guaranteed in meteor astronomy. The Moon will be gibbous
waning, but the evening sky will be free of moonlight, at least.

Best regards,
Mikhail Maslov