(meteorobs) All Sky Meteor Cameras

Koen Miskotte k.miskotte at upcmail.nl
Mon Nov 3 04:53:08 EST 2014

hi Paul,
I do not know what you want to use: a SDLR camera with a fish eye lens or a video system (eg a Watec camera) with a wide angle lens?
I use an old Canon EOS40D camera with a Sigma 4.5 mm F2.8 EX DC Circulair fish eye. The camera is controlled with a timer controller Canon TC80N3. Before the camera lens a sector rotates with 8,333 breaks a second. The camera is built into a wooden box with a curved glass window so the camera is protected from rain and moisture. The glass window is also heated by two heating resistors (each 2 watt) to prevent dew formation.

This setup I uses since march 15, 2012.  Despite the weather isn’t cooprative in the Netherlands, I captured ~90 fireballs (magn. –3 to –10) since then.
Camera settings: ISO 400, F 3,2, 4,5 mm. Exposure time: 89 seconds, with moonlight 59 seconds. With these settings, I photograph meteors from magnitude -3 and brighter.
Many pictures of fireballs you can find on my blog: www.astrorocker.nl, click on EN-98 Fireballs.
Some pictures of the camera you wil find here: http://www.astrorocker.nl/#post143
Regards, Koen