(meteorobs) Heat required to prevent dew in a box for allsky camera

rmbehr at istar.ca rmbehr at istar.ca
Mon Nov 3 13:00:03 EST 2014

Koen, I'm interested in the heating method you use in the box for the
allsky camera to prevent dew.  During summer I often put my camera
(old Canon Rebel XT with wide angle lens) on a tripod and set it
outside for a couple of hours hoping to catch meteors, and have been
successful a few times.  I live in Ontario, Canada, so the summer
season is short.  I have made a small box with a window that can mount
onto a tripod, that has worked well.  I was thinking of building some
kind of box with some kind of heat that will prevent the dew from
steaming up the window and keep the camera above freezing.  I'm not
knowledgeable when it comes to electronics, I was thinking along the
lines of building the box big enough for a small heating pad, and have
the camera on a shelf above the pad.  How much heat is usually
necessary?

Any thoughts anyone?

Rose-Marie Burke