(meteorobs) Heat required to prevent dew in a box for allsky camera

HEADLIGHTS Studio studio at studioofbluelight.com
Fri Nov 7 15:00:33 EST 2014

Using Line Voltage and Resistors like those in the Sandia rig is expensive
and dangerous, it is not advisable; besides the resistors are difficult to
obtain. Relate to the fact that those Sandia rigs were designed in the 1990s
by highly experienced Engineers with large budgets. Running Line voltage to
something on your roof or outside your observatory is fraught with problems
and dangers (Lightning, Sunlight, Animals).Inside my pedestal, I use a 12VDC
Windshield Heater (has a fan) from Wal-Mart, switched by a Car Horn Relay
from an auto parts store, and a cheap electronic thermostat from Lowes.
Total cost, about $35. I run it on 2, 5 Volt USB Chargers connected with
Malibu Lighting Wire (Lowes) which is Sunlight resistant. The problem with
internal Moisture is caused by an inadequately sealed Pedestal. It is
advisable to use a large number of desiccant bags inside the Pedestal.
Moisture will eventually destroy the Lens and Camera. I use 6 inch PVC Sewer
Stand Pipe and Joiners with modified screw-on end caps; on the bottom for
connections and mounting and on the top, the dome. This makes it large and
heavy, but is very durable, inexpensive, easy to service and maintain.