(meteorobs) Fireball detection software question - for Jupiter impact flashes

Thomas Ashcraft ashcraft at heliotown.com
Sat Nov 8 08:38:28 EST 2014

Last year I began a personal observing project with the goal of
telescopically catching impact flashes on Jupiter. The process is to
video Jupiter and then run .avi files through a flash detection program.
There are two different softwares:  DeTeCt and Jupiter Impact Detection.

Aside from Comet Shoemaker Levy 9 there have been only four
serendipitous impact detections on Jupiter and they were made by
amateurs and noted in real time at the telescope.

There have been no captures yet by anyone using software.

I am wondering if the flash capture software used for earth striking
meteors which triggers on flashes in real time may be better in some way?

Anyone have any thoughts on this?

What would be the optimum Jupiter impact flash capture software or method?

By the way, I do think the softwares mentioned are very fine and it
could just be that bright impactors striking Jupiter are somewhat rare.

Software:
JID :   http://www.pvol.ehu.es/software/downloads.html
DeTeCt : http://www.astrosurf.com/planetessaf/doc/project_detect.shtml

Thomas in New Mexico