(meteorobs) A bright skyflash in the Ural region

Marco Langbroek marco.langbroek at online.nl
Tue Nov 18 10:37:22 EST 2014

Andrei Ol'khovatov schreef op 18-11-2014 16:12:
> Dear All,
>
> There was a skyflash some days ago (the last week-end?) seen in the
> region of the city of Ekaterinburg, Russia (official name - the
> Sverdlovsk' region).
> Not much info:
> 1) a news story (in Russian):
> http://urfo.org/ekb/518345.html/print/
> 2) video:
> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NOwTSzjC6Ew

Hmmm. I doubt this one is a meteor.

 From the video, it appears that the person shooting it was already starting to
pay attention well before the peak event. In the video, you can see a pulsating
red glow in a stationary position well before it becomes very bright, the latter
only happening 18 seconds in the video. The bright peak, of several seconds
duration, also seems to be quite stationary. So the event, whatever it was, was
already going on for at least 18 seconds, and it does not seem to be moving
during that time.

My guess this is something originating on Earth. To me, it looks like a fire or
series of small explosions and subsequent large explosion or flash fire
reflecting on a cloud deck. The Russian article (in Google translation) seems to
suggest there is a major chemical plant nearby? I wonder if any explosions were
heard some tens of seconds after the movie ends.

- Marco

-----
Dr Marco (asteroid 183294) Langbroek
Dutch Meteor Society (DMS)