(meteorobs) A bright skyflash in the Ural region

David Entwistle david at radiometeor.plus.com
Tue Nov 18 12:04:56 EST 2014

>         Andrei Ol'khovatov schreef op 18-11-2014 16:12:
>         > Dear All,
>         >
>         > There was a skyflash some days ago (the last week-end?) seen
>         in the
>         > region of the city of Ekaterinburg, Russia (official name -
>         the
>         > Sverdlovsk' region).

I've seen something similar, although less dramatic from a Scottish
steel production facility. It was a long time ago, but I think it was
related the a stage in the Bessemer process when either the converter
was opened, or emptied.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bessemer_process

Does Ekateringburg have a foundry, or steel industry? If so, the locals
would surely have seen this before, but maybe not under such favourable
low-cloud Moon-less dark sky conditions.

Best wishes,

--
David Entwistle