(meteorobs) Very bright Colorado fireball

Chris Peterson clp at alumni.caltech.edu
Tue Oct 7 12:18:02 EDT 2014

Yesterday morning, we had a mag -12 event just a little west of Denver.
The radiant suggests an Orionid, but the average speed of 44 km/s is a
bit on the low side for that. The event was at 2014.10.06 UT 10:07:47.
Duration 2.5s. Beginning height 123 km, ending height 35 km. Angle of
descent 38° from vertical. Multiple fragmentations or terminal
explosions. Terminal point near Fraser, CO, meaning high mountain
country. I didn't see anything on the Denver doppler radar, which does
cover all of the descent path.

I haven't had time to fully analyze this event or put together videos,
but the still images are impressive.

 From Cloudbait Observatory:
http://www.cloudbait.com/meteor/data.php?recnum=64528

 From the Denver Museum of Nature and Science:
http://www.cloudbait.com/meteor/data.php?recnum=64558 and
http://www.cloudbait.com/meteor/data.php?recnum=64560 (caught as two
events; note that the camera time is fast by 104 seconds).

Chris