(meteorobs) Re^2: Phoenicids 2014 (Mikiya Sato)

Mikiya Sato mail at kaicho.net
Sat Oct 25 09:18:28 EDT 2014

Dear all,

I am Mikiya.
Thank you very much, Ivan Bryukhanov, Sergey Shanov,
and Roberto Gorelli, for your messages to me.

>Only a little question:
>
>the Phoenicids should to be at -53°, in
>http://meteor.kaicho.net/PHO2014/ they are at -27°
>they changed orbit and declinations?
>Best greetings.
>Roberto Gorelli

The orbit of the dust trail of Phoenicids greatly evolves by perturbation
of the Jupiter mainly, as Sergey answered.
Especially, the inclination changed from about 9.7 degree in 1956
to about 6.8 degree in 2014. Therefore, the declination of the radiant
moved to the north.

>I known this, in this case we have more of 20° of difference in
>declination then do we should change the name of the shower?

In the current rule by IAU, the name of the meteor shower doesn't change.
It is because probably it is one of objectives to make one name
to one meteor shower.
This year, the radiant will be located in Sculptor, but let's call
it Phoenicids!

Mikiya Sato
mail at kaicho.net