(meteorobs) Telescopic Meteors Again

pzeller1966 pzeller1966 at gmail.com
Mon Sep 1 04:16:13 EDT 2014

  I brought this topic up several months ago and had some interesting
telescopic meteor observing isn't done much by anyone any longer, I'm still
intrigued by it and I still think this pursuit could lead to valuable data
on faint minor meteor showers. I'd like to give it a try this autumn and I
have some questions...

  First of all, does anyone out there still do telescopic / binocular
meteor shower observing? I'm wondering if any experienced observers have
any advice to pass along and/or would like to collaborate observations with
me.

  Does anyone know where I could find a list of telescopic meteor showers?
Especially ones that are active in autumn and winter and which charts from
the IMO might be best to use?

  Lastly, does the IMO or NAMN accept reports for this type of observing
any longer? Where can I find the form(s) and what's the best way to send
plots on the charts?

  I remember that a lot of group members advised me last time to
concentrate on video systems instead. I appreciate the advice and I may
look into this someday. But right now I'd like to save my money and spend
some time trying it through the binoculars. Thank you in advance for any
advice and information you can offer!

  I stayed up late tonight hoping to view and plot the peak of the Aurigid
shower, but unfortunately thick clouds rolled in from a storm system that's
still 200 miles away! Hope others here had better luck.

  Paul Zeller
  Indianapolis, IN, USA