(meteorobs) Administrative decay of Cosmos 2495

Matson, Rob D. ROBERT.D.MATSON at leidos.com
Tue Sep 9 14:14:25 EDT 2014

Hi Marco,

Agree with everything you've posted, with the exception of one minor correction:

"This reentry happened some 5 minutes after the satellite passed its descending node at 4:27 UT"

I'm sure you meant its ascending node.

Personally, I find it suspicious (if not a little amusing) that the reentry track occurred so close to
Colorado Springs. If this wasn't a failed administrative decay deorbit burn, given the current
somewhat testy geopolitical situation, one wonders if the decay location was completely
accidental. ;-)  --Rob