(meteorobs) Sat re-entry - New Mexico - of possible interest to meteor observers

Esko Lyytinen esko.lyytinen at jippii.fi
Thu Sep 11 06:50:47 EDT 2014

I agree to this "plasma envelope" conclusion by Rob.
This is especially because I think that I have once seen such a thing
myself, which is the only (directly) re-entry connected observation I
have. And my conclusion has been the plasma envelope, since observing this.

That was (probably) more than 30 years ago here in Helsinki, FInland
near our own home. In the (in my memory Civil type) evening twilight I
recognized a very fast moving satellite looking thing passing about
horizontally at about 20 (or maybe a little more) (maximum) elevation
angle in the SE side. I was then quite familiar in visual satellite
observing since Sputnik 1 (booster) and this looked faster than any I
had seen (considering also the elevation).
I had binoculars and could get this into view. This looked like a
circular orange thing bringing into mind a view of planetary nebula,
although much brighter of course, well negative magnitude. Was probably
dimmer than Venus, although did not notice anthing for a direct comparison.
The diameter has been assumed a few arc minutes. Could not notice that
it was not pointlike before looking with the binoculars.
This disappeared behind the roof of our house.
Then yet we did not have the internet and the identification did not get
known. Did not see any news of this in the papers or TV.

Esko