(meteorobs) Early bright LYRs

karl.antier at laposte.net karl.antier at laposte.net
Tue Apr 21 16:16:20 EDT 2015

Hi all meteor observers,

I do not know if this event may be linked to this. But it was written in the 2015 Meteor Shower Calendar of the IMO (http://imo.net/files/data/calendar/cal2015.pdf) that Esko Lyytinen somewhat predicted that there may be enhanced rates of the Lyrid shower in 2016 and 2017, as the Earth will come close to the one-revolution dust trail from C/1861 G1 Thatcher. In 2015, such enhanced rates were not as sure, as they would probably rely on some older trails which could not be modelled as accurately as the 1-rev. trail.
"For 2015, meteor scientist Esko Lyytinen has suggested the possibility that Lyrid rates may be somewhat enhanced, although from theoretical modelling, the chances of this seem better – if still uncertain – for 2016 and 2017. The 2015 possibility is heavily dependent on what other dust trails pass closer to the Earth than the trail established from the one observed
return of the shower’s parent comet, C/1861 G1 Thatcher, some thing which cannot be modelled." (etracted from the IMO 2015 Meteor Shower calendar, pp.6-7)

Stain tuned!
Clear skies!
Karl