(meteorobs) Need a question answered on radio meteors setup

Michael Boschat andromed at dal.ca
Sun Apr 26 12:12:43 EDT 2015

Hi:

 Ok, I've been listening to radio meteors since 1998 with an Icom R-10 receiver... but now as we all know thanks to freakin

technology, TV analogue stations are going  or gone digital.

 Now, I still hear a couple on 83.24 MHz up here in Nova Scotia... BUT   a friend thinks my radio's sensitivity is

bad as I need also to use external speakers to boost the sound.

 Now, there is an Icom R20 receiver for $800  very close to what I need to use.

I'm asking those with radio meteor experience if I should spend that amount of money on a new receiver that will either:

1)   Let me pick up a bit more meteors -- right now faint ones are almost drowned out in my static.

2) The radio will not do anything at all to increase my hearing meteors.

This is how I monitor right now:

Receiver: Icom R-10

Antenna : resonant dipole

Antenna Direction: Horizontally polarized with lobes in E-W plane,
        elev 0 deg

Filter  : high-Q (Q at least 300) bandpass filter between antenna &
          receiver.

Listening Mode: CW

any help would be appreciated...

Clear skies
Michael Boschat
Halifax Center - Royal Astronomical Society of Canada
Astronomy page:  http://www.chebucto.ns.ca/~aa063