(meteorobs) Need a question answered on radio meteors setup

Paul Goelz pgoelz at comcast.net
Sun Apr 26 14:36:01 EDT 2015

>  Now, I still hear a couple on 83.24 MHz up here in Nova Scotia...
> BUT   a friend thinks my radio's sensitivity is
>
>bad as I need also to use external speakers to boost the sound.
>

>  Now, there is an Icom R20 receiver for $800  very close to what I
> need to use.
>

>I'm asking those with radio meteor experience if I should spend that
>amount of money on a new receiver that will either:
>

>1)   Let me pick up a bit more meteors -- right now faint ones are
>almost drowned out in my static.
>

>2) The radio will not do anything at all to increase my hearing meteors.

A more sensitive receiver will only help you if your local ambient
noise floor does not predominate.  If the noise level drops
noticeably when you disconnect the antenna, it is likely that the
local noise predominates and a more sensitive receiver will buy you
little to no added detection capability.

A better antenna will almost always help.  A directional antenna can
provide improvement in two areas.  It can direct its sensitivity in a
favorable direction while possibly rejecting local noise sources in
other directions.  Have you tried a good old fashioned multi element
analogue TV antenna?  Properly matched to your feedline and pointed
in the right direction, it might do better than your dipole.

I have an Icom R20 and it probably would do OK but I prefer the TS480
for its stability.  Not sure how much better the R20 might be than
your R10.  On paper they are about the same sensitivity at 0.25uV
each on SSB.

I am fortunate here in the metro Detroit area.  I can still detect
meteors using a Kenwood TS480 ham transceiver and a 6M halo (non
directional) antenna on NTSC TV2a and 2c.  Since the antenna is not
directional, I do not know where the transmitter is.

Paul

Paul Goelz
Rochester Hills, MI
pgoelz at comcast.net